Do the Laws of Science Point to an Outside Intelligence?
By Steve Rowitt, Th.M., Ph.D.
The laws of science are the foundation of all scientific endeavor. They have been demonstrated to be reliable, regardless of time or place. These laws enable researchers to make accurate predictions from a given set of conditions. They demonstrate an overwhelming presence of order and design in the universe. Almost every scientific law can be expressed by means of a mathematical formula. Many are named after the scientist responsible for their discovery. Examples of these laws are listed below.
- Newton’s Laws of motion (three laws for all motion)
- Law of Universal Gravitation (two bodies attracting each other)
- Boyle’s Law (gas pressure and volume relationship)
- Charles Law (gas temperature and volume relationships)
- Ideal Gas Law (gas temperature, volume, and pressure)
- Coulomb’s Law (charges, distances between two objects)
- Hooke’s Law (spring action and force)
- Kepler’s Law (laws of planetary orbits)
- Snell’s Law (refraction law of light)
- Ohm’s Law (electrical law of volts, amps and resistance)
- Laws of Thermodynamics (universal laws of energy and matter)
The laws of science are uniform, universal, and unchanging—and thus predictable. A law of science is true whether it is applied on earth, or anywhere in space. For example, Newton’s laws of motion not only operate here on earth, but also on the moon or a star. No matter where you are in the universe, Newton’s second law of motion predicts that whenever force is applied, a predictable acceleration will ensue. Laws of science then, are universal, repeatable, predictable, subject to mathematical expression, and evidence of order in creation.
Just as God has established the physical laws of the universe, He has also established the spiritual laws of the universe. These spiritual laws require spiritual solutions. One of those laws is “the wages of sin is death.” The Good News includes the following proclamation of the truth, “the law of the spirit of life in Christ has set me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:2